Counsellor Advocate – Geelong
About The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre
We are a leading organisation offering a comprehensive suite of services to clients and the community across the Barwon, West Melbourne and Wimmera Regions. Providing specialist sexual assault and family violence programs and services, including 24 hour crisis care support, case management, therapeutic counselling, early intervention and professional education and training, we continue to grow and develop our offerings.
About The Role
These positions are based in Geelong, however you will initially commence working remotely from home due to coronavirus (COVID-19). You must have a confidential space within your home and reliable internet connection to work remotely. No face-to-face appointments will be required with clients whilst working from home unless otherwise specified.
This position provides specialised counselling to children, young people and adults who have experienced sexual assault or family violence, and to their non-offending family or friends. The role may also include the provision of therapeutic services and intervention to children and young people who engage in problematic or abusive sexualised behaviours. You will assist with an intake system, conducting assessments and facilitating trauma informed counselling therapeutic group work.
Reporting to a Team Leader, you will be supported by highly skilled and qualified practitioners and receive regular clinical supervision and valuable peer support.
With degree qualifications in psychology, family therapy or social work, you will be able to demonstrate experience in the delivery of therapeutic interventions, case management and risk assessment. With a comprehensive understanding of the issues relating to sexual assault and family violence within a gendered context, you have significant knowledge and expertise in working therapeutically with the dynamics and effects of interpersonal trauma.
You will be a values driven person, motivated to make a difference and hold the client at the centre of everything you do. You thrive working autonomously and also collaboratively within a dynamic, team environment.
If you share our vision for a community free from family violence and sexual assault and are motivated to make a difference, we would like to hear from you. We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. You care for our clients and we care for you, including by investing in your development and wellbeing. You will have access to leading specialists and training and development that supports you in your role and in your longer term career journey. We offer a variety of career pathway options, leading salary packaging benefits and flexible working arrangements that help you manage your work and your life.
Why work for The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre?
The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre takes pride in being an employer of choice; we are passionate about the wellbeing of our team members and we provide a number of complementary benefits to our staff, some of our benefits include:
Generous above award Enterprise Agreement entitlements
- Flexible and part time working arrangements
- Professional development opportunities
- 10 weeks Paid parental leave
- Salary packaging
Health and Wellbeing initiatives
- Flu vaccinations
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Weekly delivery of fruit
- Pet friendly environment
- Internal book exchange program
- Social initiatives
- Positive workplace culture
During COVID 19, The Sexual Assault and Family Violence is providing numerous engagement opportunities for staff to ensure they feel supported whilst working from home, These engagement opportunities include:
- Regular communications such as a weekly staff newsletter and fortnightly CEO update
- Organisation wellness channel; virtual afternoon teas, walking meetings, care packages and social initiatives
How To Apply
To apply, please go to our website at www.safvcentre.org.au/careers to view the position description and submission requirements. All applications must address the key selection criteria outlined in the PD. Applications should be sent to [email protected]. For a confidential discussion, please contact our People and Culture team on 03 5222 4318.
In line with the Government’s coronavirus (COVID-19) health and safety requirements, The Sexual Assault and Family Violence Centre’s application assessment processes will be facilitated remotely using various online platforms, where possible. Induction processes will be completed online for those who are successful in securing a position with our organisation
5:00pm Thursday 3rd December 2020.
Key Selection Criteria
Essential Qualifications and Experience
Your application must address the following:
- Degree or above qualification in social work, psychology, family therapy or similar discipline.
- Minimum two years relevant therapeutic experience post qualification.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Significant knowledge and expertise in working therapeutically in relation to dynamics and effects of trauma on children and adults, including family members and friends.
- A comprehensive understanding of the issues relating to sexual assault and family violence within a trauma informed, feminist intersectional, and systemic approach.
- Demonstrated assessment skills, including therapeutic assessment, crisis intervention, risk assessment and safety planning.
- Ability to work collaboratively with MDC partner organisations and across complex systems including but not limited to police, judicial, medical, educational, child protection, community services and family systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and to value and contribute to a positive workplace culture as a team member.
- Commitment to the vision, values and purposes of The SAFV Centre.
- Commitment to continuous quality improvement and cultural equity in service delivery.
- Current Victorian Driver’s Licence.
Applicants must provide the name and current contact details of 2-3 professional referees including the most recent or current supervisor.
Period of Appointment
There are 2 positions available:
1 position is ongoing, dependent on the continuation of funding to the service.
1 position is fixed term for 12 months to cover parental leave.
Hours of Work
- Τhe position is part time or full time, minimum 4 days per week (0.8 – 1.0FTE).
- Location of the position is in Geelong.
- Hours will usually be worked during business hours of 9.00 am to 5.06 pm between Monday to Friday
- The days are based on the needs of the service
- Flexibility in working hours will be required from time to time as the need arises.
Salary and Conditions
Annual salary range is $81,276.00 – $95,652.44 plus superannuation (pro rata for part time). Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills. Higher qualifications allowance available for Masters level and above.
Industrial Instrument: The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre Enterprise Agreement 2018.
Salary Packaging: Provided via Maxxia. PBI status with other expenses available to package above this cap. The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre is a Public Benevolent Institution.
Superannuation: The employer will also make superannuation payments on your behalf in accordance with the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992.
Probationary Period – 6 months with a review conducted during this time.
Employee Responsibility – Mandatory prior to commencement
- Valid Working with Children Check
- National Police Records Check – renewed every 3 years of employment at employee expense
This position description is subject to review and may change in accordance with the needs of our organisation; including our operations, our clients and our stakeholders.